Lip lifts improve facelifts
With any major facial rejuvenation procedure, such as a facelift, there are some ancillary procedures that can significantly help the patient look younger.
Here are some facelift photos to get you in the mood: Facelift surgery
A facelift procedure will pull the skin of the face and tighten the underlying muscle and fat. However, other facial structures also show the ravages of time and need the attention of your cosmetic plastic surgeon.
Here is a post on facelifts: Facelift surgery under local anesthesia
Areas that can be rejuvenated at the time of a facelift include:
- Brows – A brow lift can elevate the eyebrows and help remove some of the brow lines
- Eyelids – Blepharoplasty, or eyelid surgery, is the removal of extra fat and skin from the eyelids for a more youthful look
- Facial lines – dermal lines can be injected with Radiesse or Juvederm or filled with a dermal graft or fat at the time of surgery
- Rhinoplasty – nose surgery, or rhinoplasty, can frequently help elevate the tip of the nose and give a younger look to the face
- Lip surgery – making the lip fuller or elevating the lip can improve shape and reduce signs of aging
Surgical lip lift
Although lip enlargement can give the appearance of a lip lift, in reality this surgery is used for patients who have a long lip.
As we age, the maxilla (the bone segment carrying our upper teeth) starts to erode and shrink. In response, the lip, which used to have a more convex shape, starts to look more concave and longer.
Further, there is also an actual elongation of the lip as skin elasticity and collagen levels diminish.
A surgical lip lift is a procedure used to remove a few millimeters of skin from the upper part of the lip at its junction with the nasal alae (nostrils).
The muscle of the upper lip can also be tightened in this surgery and a contour given to the lip to create a cupid’s bow via differential excision of skin.
This can give a significant improvement to the overall shape of the lips and the face as well.
Before a lip lift; lip is long
After a lip lift; the lip is shorter and more youthful-looking
Though some surgeons use an excision on the corners of the mouth to elevate the mouth corners, I do not personally like that surgery due to the visible scarring (patients have to wear lipstick at all times) and unnatural “joker smile” it creates. The lip lift does not have either of these complications.
Surgery can be performed at the time of facelift or at another time under local anesthesia in the plastic surgeon’s office. Sutures are removed within a week and the scar is hardly noticeable after three weeks. The result is excellent and there is no need to repeat the surgery in the future.