Constipation after plastic surgery
Before getting to the point where you feel great after your cosmetic surgery procedure, you will have to go through a few days of discomfort. Your cosmetic plastic surgeon should do all they can to help you from becoming miserable until all systems are back to normal.
Although pain and nausea are two of the most common symptoms during your recovery, the one that can get you the worst is constipation. Preventing constipation or at least resolving it as soon as possible after onset will bring a smile to your face.
Reasons for post-operative constipation
- lack of mobility
- narcotic medication
- change in eating habits
- fear of exertion in the BR
Lack of mobility
Change in eating/Bowel Antibiotic Flora
Fear of exertion
- Drink lots of fluid
- Take a stool softener
- Eat prunes
- Take a laxative, such as ex-lax
- Use a rectal suppository such as Dulcolax
- Use one or two Fleet’s enemas
- Always let your surgeon know before you start the process outlined above!