Plastic Surgery Tourists
Cosmetic surgery tourism
Every month I see patients for cosmetic plastic surgery consultations who have already had surgery in another country. They want to see a plastic surgeon at “home” because something is wrong, because there is a complication or just to be reassured. I have always found it interesting to see what motivates cosmetic patients to go far away to have cosmetic surgery when we in the US live in a country where you can find a highly trained, competent, board-certified cosmetic plastic surgeon in every city.
Reasons for cosmetic surgery travel
- perceived lower cost
- perceived superior techniques
- social support system available
- vacation added to surgery
Problems with plastic surgery tourism
- equal cost when travel and lodging is accounted for
- lesser techniques and less-qualified surgeons
- lack of social support for long-term recovery
- “vacation” spent recovering in a hotel room!
Cost of plastic surgery
Plastic surgery training
Plastic surgery techniques
Social support for cosmetic surgery
For cosmetic surgery, find a board-certified plastic surgeon near your home. You will get a better result, better surgical care and look better when you do finally go onto tourism after healing.