Fat Injections to Breasts
I have previously written about fat injections for breast enlargement but new information keeps on coming up and cosmetic plastic surgery patients continue to show interest in this plastic surgery procedure. here are photos from an article in the Aesthetic Surgery Journal of March 2014. Not much of a difference if you ask me.
Breast Enlargement with implants
The traditional methods of breast enlargement by either placement of saline or silicone breast implants under the chest muscles have been performed by board certified plastic surgeons since the late 1960 s. Breast augmentation surgery has withstood the test of time. The surgery will produce consistent results and has a 98% satisfaction rate amongst patients.
Multiple variations of breast sizes and shapes are possible now that moderate profile implants, moderate -plus sized implants, and high profile implants are available from multiple breast implant manufacturers. These implants satisfy the needs of patients who typically are looking for at least a 2 cup size increase in their breasts.
Breast implants are foreign objects for the body and will form capsules of scar tissue around them which can become problematic at time. The implants can also break or rupture and in general need upkeep.
100% of patients will get a substantial improvement in breast size that is long lasting. Breast surgery with implants takes one hour.
Breast Enlargement wit Fat injections
In order not to have the problems that implants can sometimes cause, fat injection to the breasts has been advanced as an alternative surgery by some plastic surgeons.
Fat is removed by liposuction from one area of the body and injected into the breasts to enlarge them. Breasts are made up of a combination of breast glandular tissues and fat. Breast enlargement with fat injections adds to the fatty tissue already there.
Advantages of breast augmentation with fat injections
- Natural tissue and feel of breasts
Disadvantages of breast augmentation with fat injections
- Un-predictable loss of breast volume- some of the fat always dies after a fat transfer. How much will die is unpredictable despite multiple techniques for handling and injection of the fat. Typically the latest study shows that only 30% – 40% of the fat injected remains within 6 months.
- Risk of development of breast cancer – The fat that is injected will have stem cells which when in the vicinity of breast tissue could cause breast cancer. This has been shown to occur in animal models. Even the latest plastic surgery article about breast enlargement with fat injections mentions that patients should be counseled about the risk of developing breast cancer!
- Small volume of breast enlargement possible. In general breast augmentation achieved with fat injections only gives one cup enlargement of the breast. Typically about 250 cc fat is injected. Within a few months after surgery only 30- 40 % of the fat remained. How much of that actually stays long term is unknown.
- Longer operative time. Typically surgery took 3 hours for fat injections.
- 10% of patients have substantial improvement in breast size, and 50% have a moderate improvement in breast size.
Breast enlargement with fat gives minimal improvement in breast size ,has un-predictable results, of unknown duration, requiring three times longer surgery, and increases the risk of breast cancer.
No thanks- I’ll stick to implants for now.
And here we are in 2020 and still no different. Fat injections into breasts is still carried out but few people actually try to get the breast larger by this method, mainly because you can’t do it! Instead fat injections to the breast have found a surgical place in correcting breast deformities and breast implant irregularities that occur in very thin women. In these cases the fat camouflages the rippling that occurs in thin women with breast implants.